What is the difference between a New Year’s Resolution and a step towards a healthy future? The majority of the former have probably been lost by the wayside by the end of January, particularly if they involve denial (giving anything up)…. the later will hopefully last as you see the benefits show through.
My top 5 tips for a healthy 2012 would be:
1. Drink enough water. This is probably the SINGLE most important thing that you can do for your body, mind and spirit. In acupuncture, water doesn’t just affect a single organ, it also affects the meridian (energy channel) and the role that the particular organ has to play within the body. 2L per day for the average adult should do the trick.
2. Eat Breakfast. You wouldn’t drive your car to work on an empty fuel tank, so make sure you don’t do the same to yourself. It’ll stop the mid-morning cravings, improve your mental agility… even a light snack will help.
3. Get to bed by 11pm (most nights!). Your body needs time to rest and recharge, in doing so you’ll help your energy levels enormously.
4. Get outside every day. Fresh air is good for the body, and good for the soul. If you can exercise outdoors, fantastic, if not, a simple walk to work or round the block at lunchtime will do.
5. Invest in yourself – do something you enjoy every week, and start to enjoy the benefits. Whether it’s a new skill, time to exercise or a daily meditatation, a happy fulfilled person is on the path to better mental and spiritual health – and it may benefit your physical health too!